Monday, May 3, 2010

My Aesthetic Experience
By: Emilie Aumond, Aesthetician

I began this wonderful journey in the fall of 2008. Everything about this school seemed exciting; all the students were ready to embark on what could be the career of a lifetime. I was in a class with peers that were so eager to learn and teachers who couldn’t wait to feed our hungry brains. When I started this course, I thought it would be a breeze. I mean how hard could applying polish, massaging, or waxing someone be? Well I was in for a small surprise, we had to learn everything from body systems to interactions with your client. There was a lot of material to go through, although it seemed to go by in a flash. Our teachers made sure that the assignments given were interactive and they always had great stories of experience from the field. After my first observation stage I was so excited to start working.

The stage had validated my decision of joining the world of aesthetics; I knew this is what I wanted to do. I started working part-time while I was at school which helped me gain some much needed experience. By the end of my course, I had made some amazing new friends and learned more things than I thought I would.
In the fall of 2009 I was approached by one of my teachers to enter into an aesthetic competition where I was to perform a basic facial, a waxing, a manicure and a makeup treatment. Any free time my teacher and I had, we would practice for the competition. It was a lot of hard work and took much dedication but it definitely paid off.

In February 2010 I competed against six other talented girls in the above mentioned disciplines. It was such a great experience seeing the different methods and techniques used by others. It was so great to be surrounded by others girls who love what they do as much as I do. We were all invited to a gala three weeks later to find out the results of our efforts. So many trades were represented at this gala and all the winners were announced. When my name was called for the gold medal I could not have been more ecstatic!

I am now three days away from representing the region of Montreal at the provincial aesthetic competition. I must say I am a little bit nervous although I would not have it any other way. I love everything about what I do and I have a chance to represent this. I would not have imagined that any of this was possible when I first started less than two years ago. When you love what you do and when you have the drive; not to mention an amazing teacher and support system backing you, anything is possible!EA

No comments:

Post a Comment